Monday, January 31, 2011

MDCC's Moten commits to Louisana-Lafayette

LELAND – The big football programs weren’t around when Jemarlous Moten graduated from Leland High in 2009.

But after two successful seasons at Mississippi Delta Community College, the 5-foot-10, 165 pound cornerback was a hot commodity this go around.

And last weekend, the Leland native made up his mind on where he will take his talents for his two remaining years of eligibility.

Moten verbally committed to Louisiana-Lafayette and will sign with the Ragin Cajuns on National Signing Day Feb. 2.

“I chose them because I always wanted to play D-1 football and it was a good opportunity there,” said Moten, who added that Mississippi Valley State, Jackson State, Tennesee-Martin, Alabama A&M and others all offered him scholarships as well.

“I like what coach (Mark) Hudspeth is doing over there,” he added. “He’s building a great program.”

Moten, who was tabbed second-team All-MACJC North Division, finished the 2010 season with 37 tackles, 12 pass breakups and three interceptions – returning two picks for touchdowns.

Leland went 9-3 in Moten’s senior season at Leland, before falling to Walnut 21-18 in the second round of the playoffs.

Moten said the Louisiana-Lafayette coaching staff informed him that he has a starting spot at cornerback waiting on him.

“I just try to be a role model,” said Moten. “I know kids look up to me. They come up and ask me about football when I come home. I’m just trying to set a positive example.”

No comments: