Thursday, August 11, 2011

DSU freshman cleared to play despite armed robbery charges

CLEVELAND — Charles Tigue, the Delta State freshman football player who was indicted for a February 2009 armed robbery of four people in a Belleville, Ill. park, has been cleared to play for the Statesmen.
The freshman defensive lineman was cleared by a St. Clair County (Ill.) judge Wednesday with several stipulations: DSU head coach Ron Roberts must write two letters per week to the judge regarding Tigue's academic and athletic status; and Tigue must call the St. Clair County Probation Department weekly. He also must stay in his dormitory or at the library except when he attends class, football-related activities or eating meals.
Tigue's trial date has been set for Jan. 9.
DSU Sports Information Director Matt Jones said in a text message this morning that Tigue remains on the football team.
Messages were left for Tigue's attorney, Thomas Daley, and St. Clair State Attorney Brendan Kelly.
According to a story published on the Belleville News-Democrat website, Tigue's parents drove to Cleveland Tuesday to bring him to Wednesday's bond modification hearing in Illinois.
At the hearing, Circuit Court Judge Michael Cook told Tigue that he was given a "break" after he left the state without permission of the court. Kelly, the state attorney, and Tigue's lawyer, Daley, also said Wednesday, according to the report, that they were unaware that Tigue had left Illinois.
"You are going to be right back here and your bond is going to revoked" (if Tigue violates his new bond conditions)," Cook said, according to the newspaper.
Tigue was arrested in March 2009 for allegedly taking part in an armed robbery at a park in his hometown of Belleville, Ill. His cousin, Marnez Crawford, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 15 years.
Tigue has admitted in letters written to two judges that he took "a small part" in the crime. DSU coach Roberts previously stated that he was unaware of Tigue's background before signing him in January.

No comments: