Thursday, November 11, 2010

WS's Brozovich inks with DSU baseball


GREENVILLE — Most high school athletes are thankful to get interest from colleges in one sport. But Eric Brozovich isn’t most athletes.
The Washington School senior baseball and football standout said he received interest from several colleges in both sports. But when it came down to his true passion, he knew his love for throwing a baseball was greater than launching a football.
And on Wednesday afternoon, he answered the final question: What college should he attend?
Brozovich signed a scholarship to play baseball at nearby Delta State.
“I just wanted to stay close to home,” said Brozovich, who has been the Generals’ go-to guy on the diamond and the gridiron. He was Washington School’s ace pitcher last season and has led the Generals to two MAIS state state titles in three years as quarterback.
Brozovich said he considered going with football, but he couldn’t overlook his love for baseball.
“I like football, but I have a deep passion for baseball, so I’m pretty sure I made the right decision,” he said.
It was also good news for Washington School baseball coach Jeff Walls, who once pitched for DSU and helped lead the Statesmen a Gulf South Conference title in 2000.
“It’s a real exciting day for me because I know what’s in front of him. And I really think he’s going to fit in there,” said Walls. “And it’s a place where I’ll get to go watch him play.”
Brozovich said he will be on the mound at DSU, but Statesmen coach Mike Kinnison will also give him the opportunity to branch off to other positions.
“(Coach Kinnison) said I can try dual positions, so I’m going to try that out and see where that goes,” said Brozovich.
Brozovich, who was named the Delta Democrat Times’ Pre-season Offensive Player of the Year in football, is quite talented on the gridiron as well.
So, what are what chances DSU fans will see him on under center one day in Cleveland?
“There’s still a slight chance,” said Brozovich. “....Right now probably not, but you never know. Things change.”

No comments: