Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hollandale's Lyons heads to Lambuth; Leland native Barber at JSU

MOORHEAD — Of the many reasons Jamarius Lyons decided to sign with Lambuth University, one of them played the biggest role of all.
“It puts me closer to my father (who lives in Memphis),” said the Hollandale native, who was one of 12 Mississippi Delta Community College football players Wednesday to sign with a four-year school. “Now he can come see me play on the weekends.”
Memphis is about an hour drive from Lambuth's Jackson, Tenn. campus, said Lyons, who has already enrolled at his new school.
Lyons added that North Carolina at Pembroke and Henderson State also offered him scholarships. But Lambuth had more to offer than the other two, said the 5-foot-7 defensive back.
“Coach (Ron) Dickerson has played in the NFL and won a Super Bowl,” said Lyons, who had three interceptions last season. “With the path that I'm on.....He can get me to where I wanna be.”
The 2009 Simmons High graduate said his decision to transfer to Lambuth was something “that just grew on me.”
“I feel like I was destined to be here,” said Lyons. “With (coach Dickerson) having written a book about being a defensive back, he knows what he's talking about.”
Dickerson, who authored the book “101 Defensive Back Drills,” was a member of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins team and the first black head coach of a Division-I school while at Temple.

Roderick Barber
Leland native Roderick Barber, meanwhile, has enrolled at Jackson State. Some recent reports say Barber will walk-on for the Tigers, but the 6-foot-4, 290 pound offensive lineman says that's not the case.
"I'm on scholarship," said Barber, who added that Florida A&M, Mississippi Valley State and Alabama A&M also were interested.
Barber was one of five offensive lineman JSU brought in.
"I like the location and they have a great academic program," said Barber. "I feel like I can fit right into this program."
Other MDCC players to sign scholarships include: Greenwood natives Will Kent and Sam Rustom who will be at Delta State; four others inked with Henderson State — Labroderick Barnett (Rosedale), James Gerell (Ruleville), Jarvis Smith (Drew) and Demarcus Quinn (Ruleville).
Also, Leland's Jemarlous Moten and Blake Comminie of Edgard, La. will suit up for Louisiana-Lafayette. Flowery Branch, Ga. native running back Marquise Stephens signed with Shaw University in North Carolina.

No comments: